Casual Astronaut is seeking a full-time Business Development Manager to join our rapidly growing content and digital marketing agency. We’re seeking an ambitious, energetic individual who’s primarily responsible for uncovering new clients and revenue opportunities for the agency.
The Business Development Manager will be a key member of the new business team that prepares and presents proposals and pitches. Daily outreach and contact with prospective clients are crucial parts of the job. The Business Development Manager is expected to help pitch new ideas and projects to prospects, so a confident, positive and proactive attitude is necessary to promote the agency’s offerings as well as its acumen. A clear understanding of the agency’s services, approach and capabilities will be critical so that the Business Development Manager can take a consultative sales approach in helping identify solutions and services that can benefit the prospect versus simply pitching a product. In the end, the account service, creative and digital marketing teams will be executing the projects that the Business Development Manager sells, so properly setting expectations and communicating clearly (both internally and externally) is critical to achieving excellent outcomes for both the agency and its clients.
Balancing the wishes and budgets of prospective clients with margin requirements and in-house capabilities requires finesse as well as organizational skills. Collaboration and teamwork are of upmost importance to this role.
This role can be either office-based in Phoenix, Arizona, or remote from New York, Arkansas or Utah. It will require you to spend time in meetings and briefings, as well as frequent out-of-state travel (once deemed safe). Working hours will be standard office times; however, proposal deadlines and event attendance may stretch this further.
- Building and nurturing a comprehensive pipeline of prospective clients and contacts that could lead to new revenue opportunities for the agency
- Cold outreach to prospective clients via email, phone, social media and other means
- Growing the agency’s revenue by identifying and pitching new and innovative ideas.
- Reaching and exceeding quarterly and annual lead and sales goals
- Networking at trade shows and other events, managing tradeshow booths, identifying sponsorship and appropriate speaking opportunities
- Research to identify new markets and prospective customers
- Identifying RFP opportunities the agency is qualified to participate in
- Tracking and report sales activities on sales, revenue and leads
- Working with the new business team to develop proposals and initial pricing for new projects
- Proactive communication that provides clarity for internal teams
- Juggling priorities and demands of multiple prospects and pitches
- Managing and updating lead data in HubSpot
- Coordinating project handoffs and creating project briefs
- Traveling to visit prospective clients (once deemed safe) to discuss opportunities and pitch new work
- 5+ years of experience in a business development role. The ideal candidate will have worked previously at a marketing agency or professional services firm, and/or at a company whose sales efforts targeted clients in the higher education, healthcare and/or travel industries
- A persuasive and confident approach to presenting and pitching new business, taking a consultative sales approach with prospective clients
- A solid understanding of and background in marketing, including content marketing, digital marketing, branding and website design.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including writing ability (specifically proposal writing)
- Flexibility and the ability to stay positive and troubleshoot in difficult situations
- A keen attention to detail and the ability to work with internal teams to develop pricing, proposals and pitches
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, communications or related field
ABOUT CASUAL ASTRONAUT
What We Do
Casual Astronaut is a content marketing agency that helps brands and organizations develop deeper and more meaningful relationships with customers. We marry content strategy, content creation and content distribution to attract audiences at key moments in the customer journey — and ultimately to drive engagement and action. Our team of art directors, editors, developers and digital experts — based in Arizona, Arkansas, New York and Utah — rely on years of experience to create sound strategies, websites and digital marketing campaigns that deliver results.
C/A works with brands and institutions to create the articles, videos, social media posts, publications and websites that attract audiences and prompt consumers to take action. Our clients span a range of industries — from travel/tourism to healthcare to higher education — and include The Ritz-Carlton, Penn Medicine, Niagara Falls USA, the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, the University of Arizona and Explore Minnesota.
C/A is committed to quality work. The only thing we love as much as making our clients happy is creating smart, engaging marketing programs that drive results. We make it our mission to do both. As part of the team, we hope you will discover that the pursuit of excellence is a rewarding aspect of your career here.
Who We Are
At C/A, we all bring different things to the table — stellar writing skills, top-notch design chops and digital marketing know-how, as well as experience working with clients from a variety of industries. That diversity of experiences extends to our backgrounds and perspectives. We believe diversity of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin and disability status drives creativity and innovation. It’s important to us that as we craft content and digital experiences for a variety of audiences that our own staff reflect the audiences we are trying to reach.
And hiring is just the first step. Our agency is committed to our team members, and we take time to ensure that each person we bring on is a good fit for our culture and our values. We believe our staff and our clients benefit when everyone feels included and valued, and we have implemented initiatives to that end, including providing flexible time-off so that staff can celebrate holidays and events of their choosing, installing gender-neutral bathrooms and offering paid leave for all new parents, regardless of gender or whether through biological birth or adoption.
Our benefits package includes competitive salary, flexible paid time-off, 401(k) and medical and dental health coverage. We also contribute to community via C/A Charities, which targets causes and issues that disproportionately affect children and underserved populations, including hands-on projects with Arizona foster care, the Diversity the International Refugee Committee (IRC) and HomeBase Youth Services through Native American Connections.